our history

Mars Hill Baptist Church is one of the oldest established churches in Georgia. This church was established in July, 1799, not far from its present-day location in Oconee County, Georgia. 


The church survived a devastating fire in 1995 when lightning struck the steeple and ignited the pine timbers from which the building was constructed. In just a few short hours, the building was reduced to cinders. The church membership agreed to rebuild the sanctuary and finished construction and dedication in 1997.  Since then, Mars Hill has completed construction on a newer building that houses classrooms, a gym, kitchen, fellowship hall, and our preschool academy.


Our goal and desire is to point our community to the cross and to connect each individual to Christ and one another.  Through our weekly worship and discipleship ministries, we are seeing lives and hearts changed from the smallest child to our older generation and we invite YOU to come see for yourself the great things He is doing!

our beliefs

Mars Hill is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention, Georgia Baptist Convention, and the local Appalachee Association.  Our beliefs and view reflect those of the Baptist Faith and Message.